12.16.2006

Wedding Wackoness Take 2! (Edited for Content)

The other night was my cousin's wedding. Yes, FRIDAY NIGHT!! Who does that?!?

With all the wedding stuff going on, naturally the conversations between the female siblings turned to Dream Nuptials. Each of us have our own weddings planned out (for the most part) and each girl's wedding is unique and speaks volumes about the woman she is and is going to become.

The Baby Sis dreams of an Island Diva style wedding. She wants all eyes on her and her alone. Her basic plans include very few details because she wants to be the centerpiece of every room she walks into that day. She plans on having a silk sheath dress, long flowing hair and a pink hibiscus to accent it all. She wants elegant simplicity with a touch of quirky funkiness that is uniquely her.

The Older Step Sis plans on a very quiet, private wedding. A traditional Catholic mass with only her nearest and dearest. Afterwards she would prefer a family meal together at someone's home and then a quiet departure to her honeymoon. She wants her wedding to be the celebration of a new beginning. She wants nothing more than to be surrounded by people that love her and that want to wish her and her husband the best. She wants to feel loved by and connected to each of her guests.

And then there's me.....The Princess. I believe Annie Oakley in the musical Annie Get Your Gun said it best during her duet with her love interest Frank:


"I want a wedding that's surrounded
by diamonds and platinum
A big reception at the Whaldorf
With champagne and caviar
I want a wedding like the Vanderbilt's had
Everything big not small
If I can't have that kind of a wedding
I'm not getting married at all"


That's right kidlets, the custom-made gown, the tiara, the six foot train, the flowers, the candles, the steak dinners, the flowing champagne, the men in tuxes, my groom in tails, the lush fabrics, the gold rimmed china...that's what I want people. And Special Man Friend and I will work till we're forty if we have to in order to get it!

I think I surprised my mother with how much Special Man Friend and I have planned for our wedding! SMF and I have set a goal of $25,000. That's how much the two of us are bringing to the wedding budget...each of us that is, for a combined total of $50,000! Seeing as how he has a head for numbers and I have a head for STUFF, we work well together. He's not the type of guy to think I'm silly to be looking for deals on reception sites this far out. He genuinely participates when I make him look at eleventy billion different paper options for invitations. He likes knowing all the details and even more so, he likes knowing WHERE the budget will need to go when we do finally get serious about planning.

Alright...I know. Most of you are wondering WHAT THE HELL we're going to do with 50k. Here's the deal, both of us have divorced parents who have since remarried. Each of us has EASILY 200 family members we need to invite. That number is not including our friends and co-workers.

My mother about fell on the floor when I quoted the total goal. But when she really thought about it she realized, I have always been the princess in the family. Not only is our wedding going to be huge just because of the sheer number of people that are going to be there, it's going to be huge because I've grown up with images of celebrity weddings. *shrug* That's just how I am. (I'm already talking to one of my Mom's flight attendant friends about going to Hong Kong and picking up silk swatches for the gown and Maids' dresses)

SMF and I are both on our way towards the goal, I own my own business selling cosmetics and he works for one of the biggest medical supply companies in the area. $50,000 is perfectly within our abilities.

***Here's where it starts to gets sentimental and a little heartfelt. ;-)***

We're both really excited to start our lives together, on the other hand...I'm jealous of this personal time I have and I guard it like a pitbull. I wouldn't trade any of this time I have on my own for more time in married life with SMF. I couldn't imagine starting a life with him before I had a chance to do all things I've ever wanted to do.

I plan on doing a Missions Trip to Haiti to spend some time digging wells and working in our church ministry there. I'm also doing my internship in Montana on a farm that uses horses as a therapeutic tool for abused and traumatized women and children.

But all of my futures plans are not solo, I also have many plans that INCLUDE Special Man Friend; kids, home, church...you know the deal. (Espcially the Kids part....little tough to do all by your lonesome!) SMF and I have spent many nights talking about our future life. We love daydreaming and imagineing.

Where is all this 'word vomit' going?? Essentially, nowhere. I guess I've just spent alot of time thinking about the future lately. I'm getting excited to see where Life takes me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I had you figured for a front-seat wedding on Space Mountain at Disneyland, with the minister hanging on for dear life in the seat behind you and all the guests screaming behind you.

(smile)

Good for you two. I'm sure it will be everything you've dreamed.

Anonymous said...

A wedding is important, to be sure, but not as important as the marriage that comes after. Speaking from experience, I say do what you really WANT to do as far as your wedding day is concerned. It's a memory you'll have forever, and you'll want it to be exactly what you'd hoped it would be. Husband and I had a lovely wedding - though much smaller and less expensive than what you described here - and we couldn't have been happier with it. Trust me - if it's worth doing at all, it's worth doing RIGHT.